What To Look For In Home Insurance In 2020
Whether you have a mortgage for your home or not, it is important that you have a home insurance policy. The purpose of a home insurance policy is to protect your finances and investment in the event your property is damaged or destroyed.
Here’s more about what to look for in home insurance in 2020.
Look for discounts
You should look for companies that are offering good discounts when looking for a new home insurance policy. There are different types of discounts offered by homeowners insurance companies. Some examples of the most common discounts are described below:
- Claim-Free Discount: You can get a discount on home insurance if you haven't filed a claim in a while.
- Multiple-policy Discount: Some home insurance companies also offer other types of insurance, such as life insurance or auto insurance. If you get multiple policies from the same insurance provider, you may get a discount.
- Protective Device Discount: Install a protective device — such as a fire alarm, a home security system or a sprinkler system — to enjoy a discount on home insurance.
- Newly Purchased House Discount: You can get a discount on your home insurance policy if you recently bought a new home. Some home insurance companies also offer discounts to homeowners who have recently renovated their home.
- Early Shopper Discount: Get a quote before the expiration of the policy that you currently have and you may be able to get a discount.
- Insured To Value Discount: If you get a home insurance policy that insures 100 percent of your home's cost, you may end up getting a discount.
- Exclusive Group Savings: You might be able to get an exclusive group savings discount if you get a home insurance policy through your association with certain organizations or businesses.
Consider your location
When looking for a home insurance policy, you should consider your location. Keep in mind that your location could affect the cost of your home insurance policy. For example, if you are located close to a police department, your home insurance policy costs might decrease. Home insurance companies differ in terms of how much they take location into consideration. Therefore, you should select the home insurance company that values your location in the most favorable light.
For more information about what to look for in home insurance for 2020, don't hesitate to contact us.